Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Thoughts on baby shower


So I was wondering what your thoughts are on baby showers? Does the idea of having one while waiting to adopt feel awkward? Will the gifts serve as a painful reminder that you are still waiting? Or do you feel as if it is one of those cultural milestones for couples about to become parents? Maybe it helps to make you feel prepared for when baby does arrive? Maybe it will be a fun way to get your family and friends involved in preparing for the little one?

I must admit that I am in the latter group. Adam's Stepmom and one of our friends are going to throw us a shower, most likely at the end of August. I am so excited about this. I think it makes this seem even more real. Even though we are now "paper pregnant", it still feels as if the idea of us actually having a baby in our house is an abstract concept, I am sure many couples have felt this way with their first child, biological or adopted. Even though we might be in for a long wait, I think that these steps help us prepare, and I do not think I will be bothered by reminders around the house that we are still waiting.

So tell me what you think. I know everyone has different feelings towards this subject, and I would love to hear your thoughts.

1 comment:

  1. At this point, I don't know if we will have a shower before we have baby, but I am thinking we will probably do one once we bring him/her home. My sister called it a Sip and See. I will have to think about it some more. However, we are about to bring over the crib, changing table, and rocking chair from my sister's house. It does make it feel more real!

    ReplyDelete